Friday, January 2, 2015

It's Friday, I'm In Love: Buddha Teas

If you ready my other blog, TheFitBeast.blogspot.com, you know that I do product reviews and love to feature them on Fridays a la The Cure's "Friday, I'm In Love".  I had to share the most recent product review on here, too, as I know that a lot of you are in to tea and its benefits.

My love affair with tea began as a child.  My earliest memory of sipping a warm cup of tea was on a rainy day in Phoenix, Arizona, and it was peppermint tea.  It was like liquid candy sunshine.  Warm. Sweet.  Soothing.  And I felt like such a big kid getting to drink something so seemingly adult.  Next, I tried chamomile.  It wasn't nearly as sweet as I wanted it to be and adding a little honey seemed so naughty and good.  Passion Tea wiggled its way into my lemonades at Starbucks, as did their skinny chai lattes, and I even tried random combinations like vanilla and blueberry, pomegranate black tea, blends to help me sleep, and blends with kava kava to help me chill out and simmer down a bit.  And then I read an article on the kitchn, a few years ago, about what's really in our tea.  My love affair totally changed.

It worried me that I was blindly/possibly drinking something harmful in something that seemed so therapeutic and soothing.  We all know that the FDA allows a certain amount of dirt, bugs, and excrement in our food (one of many reasons why I eat a clean diet as much as possible), so it's only natural that the same screening process is loosely applied to mass produced teas.  So, naturally, I applied my clean eating to my teas and only bought organic teas.

So you can imagine my excitement when I was contacted by the delightful people from Buddha Teas about trying their certified organic teas!

Unlike companies that process even their natural flavors and even disguise them to make them all taste uniformly, Buddha Teas lets nature take its course.  It made complete sense to me when they explained that their natural teas will vary in flavor.  Take a carrot, for example.  Did you know that the longer it stays in a relatively cold ground, the more sugars will develop in it and it will produce a sweeter flavor?  Pull a carrot too soon and it might not taste as great as a carrot that you let linger longer. In all of my years of gardening, I've never known fruits, veggies, and herbs to all taste uniformly alike.  It's the exact same with tea.  A batch of chamomile tea may taste different weekly, monthly, and yearly.  And that's okay!

What I really like about Buddha Teas is that the flavors are so incredibly natural.  They don't taste overly perfumey or fake.  The subtle layers come out the longer it steeps and, I'm confessing, I often continue to add hot water to my mug once it's been emptied because the flavor of the tea doesn't fade as quickly as those other fake teas.

The two flavors I've been sipping on lately are the Calm Buddha Blend and the Skinny Buddha Blend.  As to not give you a biased opinion, I've distributed a bunch of the bags to my fellow tea drinking friends and coworkers.  We are unanimous in our opinion.  They are AWESOME!



Calm Buddha Blend:  Okay, I was a little scared to try this blend, but only because other like it that I've tried have been absolutely horrible and mostly because of the kava kava.  I mean, it felt like I was
drinking a tea that had been steeped in a pair of dirty pantyhose.  Seriously.  So I was pleasantly surprised with my first sip, then my second sip, and now my box is almost empty!  Gotta remember to order some more!  It's a really beautiful blend with chamomile, cinnamon, lavender, kava kava, passion flowers, and spearmint, and I sip on it almost constantly at work to stave off the inevitable stress.  A friend that I gave a few bags to said that it worked so well that she wanted to cozy up for a nap because of how soothing it was.

Skinny Buddha Blend:  This one blew my mind.  I honestly can't believe that I love it as much as I
do, mostly because it's green tea and I've never, ever, ever liked green tea.  I cannot get enough of this blend.  The flavors.  Wow.  You can seriously taste the cranberry, lemongrass, and hibiscus.
 Distinctly.  At least I can! The pounds aren't melting off me, but there is no one food or drink that will make that happen.  But did you know that if you were to swap out 1-2 cups of green tea for that daily sugary soda, you'd save over 50,000 calories?  That's over 15 pounds.  Just make sure you're not sweetening your tea with sugar or honey.  But you don't need to sweeten these.  The natural sweetness and crisp flavors and just perfect the way that they are, the way that nature intended them to be.

There are loads of flavors to choose from and I'm incredibly impressed with their selection.  I'm lucky to find a few flavors of USDA certified organic teas at my grocery store and a girl can only drink so much chamomile tea!  With everything from green tea, black tea, root tea, leaf tea, berry tea, bark tea, seed tea, caffeine free tea, and flower teas, there is seriously "something for everyone".

Also, they don't bleach their tea bags!  Why is this important?  I'll let Buddha Teas tell you that.

The Importance of Bleach-Free Tea Bags

Tea bags that have been chlorine-bleached contain harmful chemicals such as dioxin and epichlorohydrin. These chemicals are commonly found in processed tea bags and have been proven to increase the risk of disease. When epichlorohydrin comes in contact with water it can hydrolyze into a carcinogen and further studies have shown us that chemicals like dioxin, which is also a potent cancer causing chemical, can remain in our bodies for as long as 11 years. We believe that good quality teas should improve well-being and detoxify the body, which is why we are very attentive in making certain that no chemicals go into our teas.
We proudly offer bleach-free tea bags so that our customers can taste the purity of beneficial teas without the cost of any additional chemicals or additives. Furthermore, our tea bags are also heat sealed without the use of harmful glues or binding agents.
So go visit Buddha Teas and find out why this beast is all a buzz about these blends!
Eat clean.  Live lean.  Live better.  Live longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment