Friday, February 20, 2015

Ira Israel: Mindfulness Meditation, Day 10


Day Ten:  Choose Your Own Adventure

The beautiful thing about a meditation practice is that there is no judgement.  There is no right or wrong way to do it, and merely showing up and sitting down is enough.  Whether you meditate in silence for hours, meditate with a simple body scan, meditate with a mantra, or even pretend to meditate..all of these things we've been taught by Ira....you're doing it!

Whether you do it in the shower, in the mail room, while doing dishes, while out for a walk, in the comfort of your own home, lying down, standing up, in your car, in a studio, or while folding laundry, you're doing it!

We got to pick our favorite anchor for meditation with this lesson.  I'd be hard pressed to pick one favorite technique, or anchor, taught by Ira these last 10 days.  I know what I'm most comfortable doing.  I know what I'm most familiar with, having practiced for 15+ years.  I know what support I need more of on different days.  I know what I have time for on a busy day.  But tonight, I chose the lesson from day 3.  My mind has been getting the best of me, lately, with something in particular.  The thoughts about it have literally drifted in and out of consciousness, in my dreams, and are interfering.  Rather than suppress or deny them, I needed to let them go.

I'm grateful to have learned all of these techniques and anchors, but most of all I'm grateful to have learned to not repress, to not bury, to not cover up, and to not dismiss my thoughts and feelings.  All too often we ignore "stuff".  All too often we tell ourselves to not think about "it".  And does it work?  Hah.  Hardly ever.

Mindfulness and mindfulness meditation is not about mind control.  It's not about distraction.  It's not religion.  It's not spirituality.  It's not any of that to me.  It's about quieting down, becoming more aware, becoming more thoughtful, and becoming better.

I truly could not recommend this series on a higher level than I already do.  It's great if you already have a meditation practice or if you're just starting out and don't know where to begin.

I've received no compensation or reward or anything for writing about my experience these last few days.  In fact, more often than not, I never receive anything for writing about a product, person, program, etc.  I just want to put this out there in case it benefits anyone, like it's benefitted me.

No comments:

Post a Comment