Sunday, April 5, 2015

And All I Really Want....

I was in the middle of a trail run, yesterday, when an all too familiar song from the 90s started playing and all too familiar words ran through my head.

Enough about me, let's talk about you for a minute
Enough about you, let's talk about life for a while
The conflicts, the craziness and the sound of pretenses
Falling all around...all around

Why are you so petrified of silence
Here can you handle this?

Did you think about your bills, you ex, your deadline
Or when you think you're gonna die
Or did you long for the next distraction

I was in the most perfect location to stop, find a rock on which to pop a squat, and welcome in the silence.



It made me question, quite a bit, why we're so afraid of silence.  Why, when we're in the company of others, do some people feel the incessant need to talk, non-stop, about nothing in particular, no direct outcome, no direct purpose, just randomness that pops into their head and out their mouth to fill a silent void?  Why, when we're alone, must we have the blurring distractions of music, TVs, computers, tablets, etc., raging on?  Why are we so petrified of silence?

When I was first learning to drive, my father told me that I should probably not listen to music all the time.  He told me that by listening to the car, I hear the weird little clinks and clunks that could tell me that something was wrong.

It's the same with life.  Turning down the distractions, shutting your mouth, opening your heart and ears enables you to listen to the weird little clinks and clunks when life is trying to tell you something is wrong.

Turn it all down.  Sit back, observe, listen, and shut that mouth.  I mean that in a nice way, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment